Friday, March 28, 2014

Go ahead and say I'm not a Christian. I don't care anymore.

Image source.

I don't want to be an evangelical anymore.

Remember when Jesus said, "Come, you who are blessed by my father, receive your inheritance. For I was hungry, and you refused to partner with people who believe same-sex marriage actually counts as marriage, rather than give me something to eat."

You guys, I don't even know what to say about this whole thing with World Vision. The loudest voices in evangelicalism have made it quite clear that hating gay people is much much MUCH more important than helping the poor. And they were so loud and so powerful that World Vision ended up reversing their decision.

I guess it's not some extreme minority of evangelical Christians. And so I don't want to be evangelical anymore.

I know people criticize Christians for making LGBT issues the most important thing, but man, I always thought that was an exaggeration.

And I've tried to argue and I've tried to explain to other Christians how it's possible to support gay rights and love the bible, but now I think I'm done. Fine, I don't care, whatever.

Because it turns out I was trying to reason with people who would abandon their sponsor children rather than consider the possibility that maybe it's okay for different Christians to have different views on gay marriage.

Dear God please please please let that be just a small minority. Please God let it be all talk. They wouldn't really do that, would they?

Fine, say whatever you want about me. I won't argue any more. It's no use. Perfect Number's not a Christian. Perfect Number abandoned her faith. She was led astray. She hates the bible. She just wants to take the easy way. She's rejected God.

Whatever.

I know it's not true, but why should I bother trying to correct them? These are the same people who declared everyone should quit supporting the great stuff World Vision is doing to help poor children- because World Vision is okay with hiring gay Christians.

Is this a joke? Is this really what evangelical Christianity is about?

Seriously, I can't even imagine a more extreme example than this. Like if you wanted to make up a story to make evangelical Christians who oppose gay rights look really bad... Did somebody make this up as a joke, just to criticize Christianity?

Yeah, I'm done. I don't want to be evangelical anymore. And I don't care what anyone says anymore.

Go ahead. Say I've fallen away. Go ahead and pray for me. Whatever.

I hate God? Yeah sure, okay.

I don't value the bible? Okay whatever.

I'm not a real Christian? I'm going to hell? Fine.

This week I saw the true face of evangelical Christianity, and I am so done.

8 comments:

  1. You're not alone. If risking the lives of children to make a statement against people Jesus loves is what evangelical Christianity is about, I want no part in it.
    I love Jesus and yes, the Bible too. But I am so done with this hypocritical, Pharisaical religion.
    The ironic thing has been watching the reaction from the LGBT Christian community. I don't even know how so many of them can turn the other cheek so many times. When Jesus said "you'll know them by their fruits"--well, LGBT Christians are the ones reflecting Christ in the midst of this horrible situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I'm a Christian, I love Jesus and though I wrestle with the Bible, I do believe it (in context). But evangelicalism? I can't do this.

    As for people telling me I'm going to hell, fine. I'd rather be with Jesus in hell anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way. Know you're not alone. And you can absolutely believe in Jesus and not be an evangelical (because I definitely don't identify with that term anymore, either).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wrote a post with this same title. I'm so done with evangelicalism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe God inspired Sarah Bessey to write this today just for you and others in your shoes: http://sarahbessey.com/ones-leaving-evangelicalism/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really good- thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so on the same page. It makes me so sad to see so many people missing the point. Evangelical and Christ-follower are not the same thing a lot of times...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for letting me know about this. I am so angry/sad that people would un-sponsor a child based on some unrelated issue. How do you even do that? :(

    ReplyDelete

AddThis

ShareThis